Friday, January 05, 2007

All Kinds of Shrines

~One of my favorite subjects for photography are the gates that lead into Shinto shrines. As you might remember, these ceremonial gates are called torii gates. "Tori" means bird (the extra "i" means place), and as birds are the messengers of the gods in Japanese folklore, these gates are supposed to be places for birds to rest and deliver their divine messages.

That being said, I find the gates to be very photogenic. There are tens of thousands of shrines all over Japan, and no two shrines, or gates, are alike. Here are some of the more interesting torii gates that I've come across during my time in Japan:

^ This impressive double-gate is located at a shrine close to my neighborhood. Note the scroll design in the middle with kanji on it. This shrine is always well-maintained and seems to be quite popular.

^ This huge but rather bare-bones gate leads into what I'm quite sure is the largest shrine in Nagaoka. It's just a minute's drive from Nagaoka Station, and is adjacent to a large playground.

^ This small "cute" shrine is in the middle of a rice field along the banks of the Shinano River that bisects Nagaoka. For comparison, the object in the background is a water pump with a handle, making this torii gate about as tall as I am. That is to say, not very tall.

^ This imposing gate was undergoing some kind of maintenance when I took this picture. It's located at the entrance of a large shrine in the northern part of the city, where an annual horseback archery contest is held. I wanted to go, but work beckoned to me with its siren song of steady employment.

^ This forested shrine has an old-world feel to it, with dappled sunlight reaching through the trees (now bare, as I took this picture months ago). Can you see the kanji carved into the left and right posts of the gate? Beyond, there are several large stone lanterns. And don't forget the traffic cone.

^ Another small shrine, this one wedged between two narrow Japanese houses and abutting a large apartment building. Small neighborhood shrines such as this are not uncommon, and in my mind they add some charm to otherwise drab areas.

^ This "playground shrine" is near the shopping district of Nagaoka. Whenever I ride my bicycle by this gate, I always see lots of children playing in the playground to the left.

^ A small-yet-ornate shrine just outside of Yukyuzan Park. The gold scroll in the middle of the gate is impressive, as are the guardian statues that you can just make out in their boxes beyond.

^ Deep in a seemingly-endless residential sprawl lies this shrine, with a bone-white torii gate. I think the top of the gate could use a bit of work and perhaps a coat of paint or two. Note the barrier to keep cars from driving inside!

That's it for now. I hope the New Year has gotten off to an auspicious start for everyone. ~Oyasumi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home