Sunday, December 24, 2006

Putting Life In Perspective

~This is just a quick post to say Merry Christmas to everyone! Right now, I'm in the middle of reading one of my favorite books: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, which I re-read every year around this time. It helps me put my life in perspective. Besides, every time Scrooge says "Humbug!", for some reason I can't help but laugh.

Speaking of putting things in perspective, I thought I'd list a few of the things that I'm thankful for (since I didn't for Thanksgiving). Without further ado:

I am thankful...

1. For my wonderful family that cares about me very much and whom I care about a great deal.

2. That I have a good job with friendly co-workers that isn't mind-numbingly boring.

3. That I always have enough food to eat and warm clothes to wear, in a world where so many people sadly do not.

4. For my health. After all, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

5. For my great friends, both the ones back in America and the friends I've made in Japan.

6. That I have my own place to live. I am glad I have a place to go home to each day that is mine and mine alone.

7. That I live in a world where I can speak with someone on the other side of the planet simply by pressing a few buttons. Brilliant!

8. For pasta. Tomorrow's dinner will be Christmas-themed pasta, in the shapes of little trees, presents, and Santas, topped with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese, with chicken, vegetables, a side of garlic bread, and a tall glass of Ovaltine. Mmm, now I'm getting hungry again...

As you can see, my thanks list got a bit humorous again, but it's all true. However, I haven't explained the reason why I always re-read A Christmas Carol. It's not to laugh at the dialog, or even to get "in a Christmas mood".

You see, when I look around at the world, I have a tendency to be somewhat pessimistic, seeing all the horrible things that go on and the terrible people that live, it seems, only to take advantage of others. I am truly thankful that I am not one of these people. I'm far from perfect, but it makes me happy that I'm not like Scrooge initially is, that I'm not overwhelmingly greedy and selfish...most of the time.

Perhaps this makes me a failure by the standards of society, which to me seems focused only on the acquisition of more, more, more (which is what Christmas has evolved into, it seems). Quite frankly, I don't need all that much to be happy. Does that mean that I'm here to be exploited by the greedy, as Scrooge did do his employee, Bob Cratchit?

I certainly hope not. Just as Scrooge is able to change his life, so to do I believe that we all have the potential to do so. I just wish certain people would get around to it a bit faster. ~Merii Kurisumasu!

2 Comments:

At Monday, 25 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, David. We have enjoyed reading your thoughts this year and you are in our thoughts now for this Christmas period. Enjoy your pasta!Best wishes,
The Troullis family.

 
At Monday, 25 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas David! We are thankful for YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home